As Tropical Storm Hermine moves north along the eastern seaboard bringing the potential for severe weather, take steps to be ready should you need to evacuate. If local authorities ask you to evacuate, do so immediately. Anyone evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications.
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements.
- Identification to show residence is in affected area and important personal documents.
- Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items.
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys.
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled.
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you.
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself.
- Note – Public health regulations do not permit pets in shelters; service
Download the free Red Cross Emergency App to receive emergency alerts and information about what to do before, during and after disasters, as well as locations of shelters. The App also includes emergency first aid information and a Family Safe feature which allows people to instantly see if loved ones are okay. The Emergency App is available in English and Spanish in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.