Looking to spread some holiday cheer? We have five ways you can give something that means something this holiday season. See how many of these items you can check off before ringing in the new year:
1. Give the Gift of Life. Donate Blood and bring a friend. During the holidays, blood donations fall very low and yet the need for blood is high. With each blood donation saving up to three lives, think of the impact you could have this holiday season. Visit redcrossblood.org to find a blood drive near you.
2. Give the gift of preparedness. Take steps to show your loved ones that you care by helping them prepare for emergencies. Take 30 minutes to talk through your family disaster plan with household members to ensure that everyone has the same understanding of what to do if there is a disaster.
3. Give a Symbolic Gift from the Red Cross Holiday Giving Catalog for someone on your list, and your tax-deductible donation will support a Red Cross program. For example, you can:
- Provide warm, cozy blankets to protect disaster survivors from the cold and help them sleep comfortably in our shelters
- Give a full day of emergency shelter for families who have lost everything
- Help wounded heroes by supporting therapy support programs for ill and injured service members and veterans
- Help where it’s needed most
4. Give the Gift of our Free Lifesaving Mobile Apps. While sitting around the table enjoying a cup of eggnog, pull out your smart phone and show loved ones that the ability to save lives rests in the palm of their hand. The teenagers can bond with Grandma as they help her download the free First Aid and Emergency apps, which will remind her how to respond in emergency situations. And check out the app that helps kids stay safe while having fun: Monster Guard! Visit redcross.org/apps for more information.
5. Give the Gift of the Red Cross Mission. The holidays are a great time to gather with friends and family. You are each a vital part of our lifesaving mission and we want you to share this with those you love. Wear your Red Cross pin and tell your Red Cross story this holiday season.
Thanks to the dedication of our volunteers and the generosity of our donors, last year, the Red Cross New Jersey Region served the community by responding to 767 local home fires providing food, shelter, clothing and other assistance to 1,803 displaced families. It has allowed 116,154 people to be trained with life-saving skills in preparedness, CPR, AED use, first aid and aquatics; provided 3,516 military family case services with emergency messages, helping families find assistance and/or get counseling and referrals; and collected 89,160 units of blood through blood drives and Red Cross Blood Donation Centers.
Filed under: Uncategorized |