Heavy rains and flooding could threaten communities in New Jersey as Tropical Storm Hermine is forecast to move north along the eastern seaboard this weekend. The Red Cross is preparing to respond and is asking people in New Jersey to get ready too.
People who live in communities threatened by heavy rains or in the potential path of Hermine should keep informed about weather conditions and get prepared now.
You can download the free Red Cross Emergency App to receive emergency alerts and information about what to do in case of hurricanes and flooding, as well as locations of shelters. Users can find it in smartphone app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps. Parents can also download the Red Cross Monster Guard App for a fun way to teach children what to do in case of a flood or a hurricane.
- Listen to local weather advisories and stay informed about the storm.
- Build an emergency kit or update an existing one. Information about what to include is available here.
- Plan now for what members of the household will do in an emergency. Include ways to contact one another and two places to meet – one near the home and one outside the neighborhood. Full details here.
- Fill your vehicle’s gas tank and get some extra cash.
- If the neighborhood is prone to flooding, prepare to evacuate quickly if necessary.
- If ordered to evacuate, obey the order, avoiding flooded roads and washed out bridges.
- If flooding threatens, head for higher ground and stay there.
- Turn around, don’t drown. If someone comes upon water above their ankles, stop, turn around and go another way. If a roadway is flooded, turn the vehicle around and go another way.
- If caught on a flooded road and the waters are rising rapidly, get out of the car quickly and move to higher ground. Most cars can be swept away by less than two feet of moving water.
- Be especially cautious at night when it’s harder to see flood danger.
The Red Cross is preparing – calling volunteers and getting supplies, vehicles and relief equipment ready. Please take this time to get ready too.
Filed under: Uncategorized |