The American Red Cross North Jersey Regions wishes all a happy and safe holiday season. As you celebrate with your loved ones, keep these holiday fire safety tips in mind:
1. Choose decorations and artificial trees that are flame resistant or flame retardant. Place the tree away from heat sources and exits. Water real trees daily.
2. Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended.
3. If hanging stockings on the fireplace, do not use the fireplace for fires.
4. Keep items that can catch fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as sources of heat or stoves.
5. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini light sets and the total number of bulbs to 50.
6. Keep children, pets and decorations away from lit candles.
7. Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove is on.
For more fire safety tips, visit redcross.org/FireSafety.
Filed under: Uncategorized |