Generators and Carbon Monoxide Danger

 Many of us here in New Jersey are using generators and for some, it may be the first time.  PLEASE use them safely!

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless and silent killer that, nationally, claims hundreds of lives each year. Carbon monoxide poisoning tends to increase when storms and power outages force people to turn to unsafe alternative heat sources such as fuel-burning appliances, gas generators, camp stoves and charcoal grills and use them in confined spaces. The American Red Cross is urging households to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Never use a generator, grill or camp stove inside a home, garage or basement.
  • Do not use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens or clothes dryers to heat your home.


  • ALWAYS place portable generator downwind and point the engine exhaust away from occupied spaces. Engine exhaust contains carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that could kill you in minutes. You CANNOT smell it, see it, or taste it. Even if you do not smell exhaust fumes, you could still be exposed to carbon monoxide gas.


  • DO NOT run equipment inside homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces, sheds, or other partially-enclosed spaces even if using fans or opening doors and windows for ventilation. Carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these spaces and can linger for hours, even after this product has shut off.


  • If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using the portable generator, shut it off and get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. You may have carbon monoxide poisoning Call 9-1-1.


  • Treat the carbon dioxide alarm signal as a real emergency each time. (smoke detectors can not detect carbon monoxide) If the alarm sounds and you are not experiencing any symptoms described above, press the reset button. If the alarm continues to sound, call the fire department.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: